Steven-
So I just finished The Fellowship of the Ring, and as said before I've succumbed to the nerd with the LOTR. I surprised at how many frequent readers that I know have never "got into the books." I guess it may be due to the fact that Tolkien created an entire world by himself. Authors may create their own stories and background tales, but mister J.R.R. literally made his own universe with languages, an extensive history, map, and numerous side stories. This leads to a lot of parts in the book very descriptive, which may turn some readers off. As for me, I just want to find out more, especially if someone is named that I haven't heard of. I also love written languages, maybe because I love to write and do calligraphy.
This past weekend when we took Katie to the temple visitor's center, they had the Book of Mormon display of translated copies on a round table. I picked up the Welsh translation and fumbled through it. I've seen one before on my mission, they had a copy in the mission office. I'm pretty sure that is all due to Dan Jones when he preached in Wales long ago, it's not of much use today as everyone in Wales can speak English. But now I want to learn Welsh, I think it would be awesome. My Dad's family comes from Wales. If you've ever seen Welsh names, you can see that Powell comes straight from there. Also, Tolkien used a lot of the concepts of Welsh in his language, Sindarin. He also used a lot of the Finnish language for most of his created words. So, now that Danny knows Finnish, I want to learn Welsh, and not just to be a LOTR connoisseur. I can speak the accent, now I want to speak the language.
Now, how on earth am I going to learn it....
Steven -- you need to read the Dark is Rising Series. It takes place primarily in Wales and in fact in the third or fourth book gives a rudimentary lesson on how to say Welsh words.
ReplyDelete