As I mentioned, the reason we went to Idaho was
to scatter the ashes of John Roy Powell, Steven's grandpa,
at Silver Creek near Picabo, Idaho.
While Steven's dad, John R. Powell the third, was little his family
owned a ranch in this area. Steven's grandpa spent a lot of his time
fishing this river. It was such a special spot to the family that he
wanted his ashes scattered here. The ashes of his wife, Bobby, and
daughter, Peggy, were also scattered along this river.
I got to meet Steven's Powell-side aunts, uncles, and cousin
for the first time. They were so nice, and I'm so glad I got to finally
meet them. I never did get the privilege of knowing Steven's Grandpa.
It was very simple, a few words were said and he was
laid among the river he loved.
It is such a beautiful area. Although I never got to meet him, John
was an amazing man. From the stories I've heard he lived a rich, full life.
He fished and hunted this area with Gary Cooper and Ernest Hemmingway.
He also made the best home-made soup. He raised a beautiful family, and
now he gets to be with his sweet wife and daughter once again.
Thank you Alycia, for that marvelous tribute!
ReplyDelete