Today I sat in the very back of the overflow on the stage at a multi-stake conference and watched the discontinuation of my childhood stake, and the separation and termination of my childhood ward. It wasn't just a ward I went to or a stake I was in, it was my home ward for the first 21 years of my life. It was a hard day for a lot of people. What really touched me though was watching as each and every member, without hesitation, sustained the changes. It wasn't just blindly following what our leaders were telling us either, it was the fact that despite the sadness, everyone understood that this decision was not made rashly, or out of spite, or any other reason than that it was deliberated, prayed about, and inspired by the Lord to His servants. We may not understand all of the reasons why, and not everyone was happy, but every member of the congregation had faith in their leaders' decision and sustained it. It is amazing to know that every big decision in the Church is made through prayer and inspiration. The Lord truly leads His Church on the earth today, and knowing this gave me peace in a hard moment.
My stake (it will always be my stake, no matter where I live now:) was separated into two existing stakes. My ward, the 4th ward, has been separated and joined into two other wards. My neighborhood is now part of the Bennion Stake, 6th ward and will meet in a different building altogether. Luckily the 6th ward was in our previous stake, so the people will be somewhat familiar. I'm definitely going to miss coming home to the 4th ward. There was a unique feel to that ward that, to me, was always different than any other ward. I love the members there, they taught me so much and shaped a huge part of my life, and I'm sad they are being split up.
I took it kind of hard at first because I am very sentimental about random things like that. Steven explained it well when he said that I love trying new things and going new places and I adapt to change okay, as long as the "stable" parts of my life stay stable. I grew up in the same place all my life and only moved away when I went to college. I was lucky to have a stable and loving home environment, as well as living in a great area. I like change as long as my "stable and familiar" things stay the same; throw those off and I'm rattled a bit. However, as sad as it makes me that it's changed, I understand the necessity of it and I am excited for the strength that it will bring in that area. The Lord knows what he is doing and I know that everything will work out for the benefit and blessing of all.
Sniff,sniff. I don't like change, but it was an awesome day at our new ward. It was our first ward when we moved into our house and was split after a year and a half.
ReplyDeleteIt was almost like going home. A lot of the same people were there and we got so so many hugs from them. I absolutly loved it.