shamrock

Monday, November 29, 2010

No Betty Crocker...

This Thanksgiving was pretty good, very different though.  Steven's family was going to come down and spend Thanksgiving with us, but thanks to "the blizzard" (Psh, it was hardly a blizzard) and other things, they weren't able to come down.  This was last minute notice and we weren't in a great position to come up, so we spent Thanksgiving just the two of us.  I've never been away from family for Thanksgiving so this was very different, and upsetting/disappointing for me at first.  But luckily I have an amazing husband who made me feel a lot better.  We went and bought some things to make our own Thanksgiving feast.  That night (Wednesday) we made ourselves a fort to make us feel better
Fort of loneliness/Pit of Despair/Fuerte de la Muerte
aka, our awesome fort!
Playing playstation inside the fort

A lot goes in to building a fort, I wish we had more stuff to make it bigger, but this one was awesome! I miss forts, we made them all the time as kids.  We slept in the fort and watched the Thanksgiving day parade and the dog show in the morning, played playstation, and just lounged.  Then sadly we had to take it down :( But there will be more!
It was time to prepare our Thanksgiving feast! Um...I'm thankful for the many many turkey's I've never had to prepare/make, and for my mom or aunts for always doing it. We just got a small chicken, and I've never cooked a whole bird before, or prepared it
 Can you see the look of disgust??? I think all the organs were still in there, I don't know, but I hated it.  Washing and holding it felt like a baby with no head, sorry I know that's gross but that's seriously what it felt like.  I know I sound like the biggest girl/wimp/whatever but that was not a pleasant experience for me.  However, it was easy to cooked and came out really yummy.  Thank you gross dead bird for making a delicious meal.  
We cooked other random favorite Thanksgiving foods like stuffing, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese (thanks auntie ReNae!), and got rolls and sparkling cider! 
We had quite the feast!

Steven carving the beast!
 After sufficiently stuffing ourselves we took a nice long walk in the snow.  It wasn't too cold and everything was so quiet and pretty from the snow.  Then we came back and had pumpkin pie and the classic blueberry tort (my first attempt ever to make it).  We thought about going bowling or to a movie, but felt like just lounging instead.  All in all it was a very nice Thanksgiving day.  We really have so much to be thankful for!
Friday my parents drove down to visit and brought our car back from getting the windshield fixed.  We went to lunch, dropped Steven off at work, then headed to Parowan for this little craft fair thing.  It was kind of small, but had some neat things.  We prepared another little feast; mummy brought us mince pies and sausage rolls, yum! After dinner we went and saw the new Harry potter which I thought was pretty good.  I've read the book but forgot all about it.  Other than the stupid 'vision' Ron has, the movie was intense and entertaining.  Saturday we went shopping in St. George, got some lunch, and drove out to the Joshua tree national landmark; a Joshua tree preserve type place right on the border with Arizona.  I guess it is the only place those trees grow naturally in Utah; they are really neat looking and there were millions.  On our way back we got some delicious Neilson's frozen custard.  My parents were going to stay until Sunday, but because of the predicted storm they left Saturday night, which is good because the snow was crazy.  Our wimpy car couldn't make it up the steep hill to church, but luckily our awesome neighbors were able to give us a ride! I'm glad we got to spend time with some family over the holiday weekend, and we're really grateful they came down.  We also broke our the Christmas decorations and almost have our tree finished, Yay!  

3 comments:

  1. Such an eventful week! You were missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you guys could come over the other night!!! We had a blast!!! I love the look on your face touching the bird!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! Fort Despair is so cool! Just the place to retreat from an uncomprehending world.

    Love,
    the folks

    ReplyDelete