Twelve years ago my parents bought a shell of a laundromat. It was dark, dirty, and very brown. They turned it into a bright, clean, nice laundromat called The Launderette.
Overtime it's gained some wear, but my parents have kept it nice. My mom worked tirelessly almost every weekday, minus a few here and there when others would take over. She's done thousands of pounds of other people's laundry through her drop off service. My dad has fixed every inch of that place, many things more than a few times.
They still have loyal customers come in that were there when they first opened. I know that it's due to my parents' hard work and kindness. Plus, everyone loves the British laundry lady :)
As kids we all took our turns working there, especially in the beginning when there was no door to the office. Friends would come sit there with us; Steven sat there with me a few times. There were a few after-hours movie nights, canine adventures, and some scary moments-including one armed robbery.
I'll admit that over the years, and especially during my years in Cedar City, I kind of forgot about it at times. I think as we grew up it often went to the back of our minds unless we needed a snack and wanted to raid the vending machines. I think as we forgot about the place we forgot about what a hassle or stress it could be on my parents.
It definitely served it's purpose and has been a benefit to all of us in many ways. For one thing, it helped pay for our wedding :) It gave me a place to get all my laundry done at once, for free, when we had no washer and dryer. And it was nice to just hang out there with my mom.
But now the season for this laundromat and the Jackson clan has come to a timely end. The time and circumstances were just right enough that my parents have passed it on to new owners.
It's kind of surreal to think it won't be a part of our lives anymore. It's almost a little sad. However, it'll be a much needed and much deserved break for my parents not to be tied down to it anymore.
To celebrate, we had a laundry and pizza party Friday night!
Schmidt's sugar cookies! I'm sure they thought it was an odd request, but I'm very pleased with how they turned out!
Thanks parentals for being so awesomely diligent and patient with this place!
Thanks Launderette for being such a stressful, crazy, helpful, necessary, and beneficial part of our lives.






It had a good run, but it's time to move on. "Like" the pictures of your family!
ReplyDelete