Last year I resolved to make Memorial Day more meaningful than
just another three day weekend. Well, I kind of forgot about that
until Friday. However, since we weren't up in Salt Lake to visit
family graves we decided to go somewhere a little closer.
There is a pioneer cemetery in Silver Reef, about 30 minutes south of
Cedar City, that Steven and I have visited a few times.
just another three day weekend. Well, I kind of forgot about that
until Friday. However, since we weren't up in Salt Lake to visit
family graves we decided to go somewhere a little closer.
There is a pioneer cemetery in Silver Reef, about 30 minutes south of
Cedar City, that Steven and I have visited a few times.
We picked up some pretty flowers and headed south.
The graves are so old, and a lot of them don't even have
names, or the names have been rubbed off.
I kept thinking about the people who are buried there.
I have no idea who they were, or what they did, but I like to
wonder what their lives were like. What did they do to further
the growth of southern Utah? What was their home life like?
Where did they come from? What's their story?
It was neat, and it helped to make Memorial
Day more meaningful.
Then we drove to Red Cliffs
We'd considered camping there the night before, but
we got lazy and camped in our front room instead.
We probably wouldn't have found a campsite anyway, it
was super busy.
We hiked around looking for dinosaur tracks that I don't
think really existed. But we did see some old Anasazi ruins.
Plus, the landscape alone is worth the tiny entrance fee.
We've always seen this house from the freeway,
so it was neat to actually find out what is was.
I think it's the last remaining home from what used
to be the settlement of Harrisburg.
We drove by Quail Creek (which we'd never seen before), then
into St. George for lunch, and took the back roads home to Cedar.
It was a good day :)
I'm going to miss your playground. You two are so very thoughtful in everything you do. Even way out in the boonies you find some one to think of and what their lives where like.
ReplyDeleteI am very proud of my special daughter & her very special husband. I love you both.
xoxox
I love all your other post by the way. You two are so flippin' cute.
ReplyDeleteThe above comments were left by my mom from our account. I promise we aren't just praising ourselves :)
ReplyDelete