shamrock

Monday, January 30, 2012

Jacksons in Nevada (part two; with guest appearances in Arizona)

"And I would walk 500 miles..." Ok drive is more like it.
As I mentioned in my last post after a little time in Vegas
we headed south... 
...to the Arizona/Nevada border and...

The Hoover Dam!
 For only being a couple hours away, Steven and I never considered
actually going there.  I don't know why, we just didn't think we'd see it.
My mom suggested we go, and I'm glad she did.
It's pretty impressive.
They completed this bridge two years ago and it diverts the main 
traffic so that it doesn't go over the dam anymore.  It's a massive bridge.


This was also our first time seeing Lake Mead.
My parents have already seen the dam, bridge, and been to Lake
Mead, so it was nice of them to do it again for us :)
Gigantic spillway
Vortex of Doom.
You can't quite tell from the picture, but this is pretty
much a massive hole that would make a wicked awesome
water slide of death.

Love this picture
My parents are awesome

Debbie is slightly (hugely) afraid of heights, but bless
her, she tries :)
Looking directly down the side of the dam.

If we'd had more time we probably would've taken the dam tour (yep, I said it).  The dam is pretty amazing, and one day I would like to take the tour. It's awesome how you can just walk right on top of the dam. We did go out of our way to drive over the huge bridge. 
We headed back north on I-15 and stopped in Mesquite for a yummy buffet dinner.  By the time we made it back to Cedar City we had driven just over 500 miles.  All in a single Saturday. I can't tell you how much I love trips like this.

Here is a lovely picture of our journey :)
We are so grateful that my parents came down and that they are not only willing, but love as much as we do, to randomly drive everywhere and explore new places.  We are glad that we could convince them to stay a little later Sunday and enjoy good food and dessert before they headed back to Salt Lake. 

3 comments:

  1. Stalk away Powell's, we've got our sources and will be keeping an eye on you at a safe distance! I think my favourite is Snakes drawing of the map, of course he would draw that, I miss your random sketches of sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun, we love going on adventures when we go down to you guys. Awesome weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog! Glad you guys go to go on a cool trip!

    ReplyDelete